Hello and welcome back everyone! It is time for a long awaited post. Today we will be discussing the best golf irons of 2018. A lot of you out there have been asking for this. I know that you will come away feeling confident you can improve your game on the course. If you are in the market for a new club, you have come to the right place. We will be going through a wide range of designs and manufacturers. This ensures there is something for everyone here. No matter what your experience or playing style, there will always be a club to fit your needs. As the warm weather is fast approaching once more, golfing prime time is beginning again. This is of course my favourite time of year. Without further ado, let us move onto the buyers guide. This is where I will talk about the most important aspects when in search for an iron club.
Before we dive into the bulk of this post, I thought some education was in order. I know I have a wide degree of experience in terms of readership. That’s why it’s important to cover all bases beforehand. I like to keep everyone happy you see!
First things first, cover the technicalities of loft and lie angles. The loft angle is the angle formed if you were to draw a line straight down the shaft and straight down the face of the cub. Basically the loft angle is the degree to which the clubface is angled upwards. A higher loft angle will help get the ball into the air. It will also reduce the degree of slice or hook. This means a 6 iron will give more control than a 3 iron. For this reason beginners generally have a better time with higher numbered irons. An iron with a low loft angle will have a more vertical clubface. An iron with a high loft angle will have a more horizontal clubface.
Excluding putters, generally loft angle increases as shaft length decreases. As a 3 iron is longer than a 4 iron, it will have a lower loft angle. It’s also important to keep in mind the shorter the club the less distance you can hit the ball. That’s OK though. We need a range of irons to enable to hit a shot from anywhere. This means a 3 iron will hit the ball longer and further than a 4 iron and so on. Irons can be divided into long (2,3 and 4 irons), mid (5,6 and 7 irons and short irons (8 and 9 irons and PW, SW, GW/AW, LW). Wedges are a subset or irons. They have the highest lofts and the shortest shafts. This means they are used to get under the ball and thus propel it high into the air.
There is generally 10-15 yards between each iron. It is rare to see 2 irons now-a-days but they are still present nonetheless. The shorter the iron (and thus higher the number) the easier it will be to hit. The lie angle is the angle created between the center of the shaft and the ground line. This is measured when the club is in it’s proper playing position of course. The ideal lie angle is when the sole of the club is perfectly parallel to the ground. Shorter golfers will suit flatter lies as opposed to taller golfers who will suit more upright lies. It is recommended to visit your local pro if your quite tall or short. They will be able to check if your lie angles are correct. This should also be the case if you have an swing that is excessively shallow or deep. Your club pro will be able to make alterations easily. If you are investing in a new set of irons, it is worth getting them right. It’s also advised to have your lofts checked at least once a year. With use club heads can get bent out of shape. It’s important to look after your clubs once you buy them.
Offset and Draw weighted irons.These are designed to keep your shots under control. Most golfers will slice the ball to the right (as most people are right handed). This means the ball veers towards the right unintentionally. To minimize this manufactures include offset and draw weighted features. This results in the neck of the club being in front of the clubface. This also redistributes the Center of Gravity (CG) further back on the club. The effect of this is higher trajectories. This can be of great help getting the ball higher into the air. The clubface will arrive a split second later to the ball in a club with Offset. This allows more time for rotation of the hand to occur. As such it improves the chance the ball will go straight. Clubs with offset are aimed at those with higher handicaps. Since there are different levels of offset, there can be offset in clubs still aimed at good golfers. Offsets are generally higher in longer clubs. A 4 iron will have more offset than an 8.
Shaft material is also a question raised by many in the market for a new club. The two main materials are either steel or graphite. Graphite shafts are lighter so can be swung faster. However they are more expensive and can be slightly less consistent with each hit. Graphite shafts can absorb vibration better than steel shafts but they do not provide the same level of feedback. For these reasons most pros use steel shafts when it comes to irons.
Shaft Flexes. Shafts come in varying degrees of flex. Stiff flexes will provide more accuracy but they aren’t for everyone. If you don’t have a fast swing speed you will lose the gains in accuracy. On the opposite end – light flex shafts are perfect for those with slower swing speeds such as seniors. In the middle lies regular shafts. This is where most golfers will find they are suited best. Don’t be tempted to get a stiff flex if you don’t have the swing speed to match. It won’t make you play any better (potentially worse!)
Now that we have got the buyer’s guide out of the way it’s the section you’ve all been waiting for!
The Best Golf Irons of 2018
TaylorMade N1481507 RSI TP
This set of clubs comes with either the choice of 3-PW or 4-PW depending on your preference. The TP stands for Tour Proven which gives you an idea of the level of quality on display here. This is a high quality club for a high quality player. Because of this it had a pro level shape to the clubhead. It also has a tightly configured size of head with a low level of offset. These are specifications for an experienced player who is seeking to take their game to the next level. The craftsmanship on these club is admirable as well. It is constructed in a two-piece design. This will make it a joy to play with. The boost in performance will also be noticeable if you are unfamiliar playing with a club of this calibre.
On top of these features, there are many more to read about. Some of the best are:
- Newly improved Face Slot Technology gives more all round flex throughout the club face. This ensures you can hit the ball speeds you are capable of with consistency. Even on off-center shots close to the heel and toe will have greater distances. This will help to improve your game from multiple aspects which is positive news!
- The materials used on this club are premium standard. The face and hosel are made from forged carbon steel. As well as this, the back bar is crafted from stainless steel. These selection of materials creates a ideal weight distribution for your swing.
- These are a set of clubs used by golfing professionals and it certainly shows. The ability to shape shots to your ideal standard is a feature that many top level players appreciate.
The TaylorMade N1481507 RSI TP sets a high standard for other club sets to match. This has lead to many stellar reviews on Amazon. If you are interested, click the button below to read more:
HONMA Beres IE-05 Set 2017 Right 5-11, SW ARMRQ Infinity 44 5-Star
This excellent set of golf clubs has had it’s weight redistributed to the sole/heel. This will help you transfer the greatest amount of energy from club to ball. For irons 5-8 a new structure has been created for the clubface. The area for repulsion has been expanded. This means you have an even better chance of hitting the ball perfectly. As a result this will transfer into better scores on the course.
The CG of clubs is a vital factor. In this set they have taken that into account to create an ideal CG. This has been done by creating a updated sole that has a thicker botttom. In addition to this, the leading edge has been increased in thickness too. The combined effects of these have produced clubs which have a very low and deep CG. This means it will be much easier for you to lift the ball up in the air and achieve the desired trajectory.
There are many more stellar benefits to this set of club. Here are some of the highlights:
- The face of the toe and heel has been elevated 1mm in height. It may not seem like much but this will transfer over into more accurate shots. With this, you will find controlling shot shape has never been better.
- The head has a double layered plating for reinforcement. This ensures you can achieve maximum connection on every shot.
- The ARMRQ 44 shot is made from a carbon eight axis material. This allows for a low kick point to give you the best results possible.
- A special BERES grip made from rubber has excellent durability. As a result you will never lose grip of the club. This ensures you can consistently perform at a high level. Clubs with a weak grip are a distraction and can hamper your ability.
This set of clubs is unique in it’s own way. It delivers high quality while looking absolutely stunning doing so. The gold finish on every club ensures you will not only play the part but look the part too. If this set sounds like it would be a good fit for you, visit Amazon by clicking the button below:
Callaway Men’s Apex CF 16 Black Set
This stunning set comes in all black. It is both sleek and stylish to assure you always look good on every hole. There is a high degree of customization available with this set. You can choose between either a graphite or steel shaft as well as a regular or stiff flex. You also have the choice between three different configurations – 4-PW or 4-PW,AW or 5-PW,AW. The ability to mould your clubs exactly to your liking has never been easier. There is 360 Face Cup technology in every club. This means you will receive the benefit of greater uniform ball speeds across the set,
This set is made from a forged design. The majority of sets on the list are made by cast, as are 90% of irons as of today. The difference is basically in how the metal is crafted. One is not better than the other but it is merely up to your preference. However, most players would agree forged provides a better “feel” when hitting the ball. This allows you to understand how to hit a shot better than before.
If this set sounds like something you would interested in. there is plenty more awesome features:
- The clubs were crafted from highly accurate quadruple forging. In addition to this, the steel used is 1025 slight carbon. This produces an amazing feeling set. There should be no doubt these are clubs that will last you for a long time.
- The face cup in the long irons is replaced by a special face plate in the short irons (8-AW). This will improve your feedback and precision on those all important shots.
- The offset changes with every club in the set, with the longer clubs having more than the shorter clubs. This is because more forgiveness is desirable in longer clubs as opposed to more control in the shorter clubs.
- You have the choice between the True Temper XP 95 Steel or Recoil Shaft. The choice is yours depending on your playing style.
This newly released set is setting the standard for looks and performance. If you would like to find out more about these golf clubs from Amazon, click the button below:
Nike Golf Men’s Victory Red Speed Set
This set of clubs contains a 4 iron right through to approach wedge (AW) otherwise known as gap wedge (GW). As a result this set also contains 5,6,7,8 and 9 irons as well as a pitching and sand wedge (PW & SW). Due to the wide range available it will be difficult for you to find a more complete set out there. There will always be an iron suited to your needs on the green. This will mean you are prepared for any situation.
The inclusion of Nexcor face technology allows your shots to reach longer distances than before. No matter what course you play on, the Victory Red Speed set can produce quality play after quality play. The clubface is allowed to generate more energy with each shot. This means the effort you put in will be rewarded with greater outcomes. Inefficient clubs produce a low return on investment when it comes to hitting shots. It is not uncommon to reduce your number of strokes by 10 with the help of the Victory Red Speed set.
In addition it also comes with many more features:
- Nike powerbow technology creates higher launch distances. This results in the optimum specifications for each club when you need it.
- A stunning red finish on each club. This ensures you will stand out from the crowd on the course.
- Each club comes equipped with Dynalite 90 steel in stiff flex. This makes it perfect for those with faster swing speeds and lower handicaps.
- Ball flight is straight as an arrow. This makes this set perfect for enabling you to get the ball down the green.
As you can see, there is a great deal to love about this set of clubs. In fact there are great reviews of this set on Amazon. To see what other customers are saying about this product, click below:
Cleveland Golf Men’s Launcher HB Set
Cleveland brand new club is state of the art in every way imaginable.This recently created line of HB Launcher clubs is everything needed to take your game to the next level. Cleveland has taken everything good about their older HiBore clubs and generated an even better line in their HB Launcher set. The first thing that is noticeable is their aesthetic features. Each club has a lovely metallic silver finish which is pleasing to the eye.
The longer irons have the look and feel of hybrids. This enables them to obtain all their benefits as well. These include achieving you greater launch angles and further distances than were previously possible. As the shorter golf clubs retain their own look they are allowed to perform their desired duty. This is mainly to enable you to score shots when possible.
There are also many more inclusions in this HB Launcher set:
- A unique completely hollow design is featured throughout the set. This creates a redistribution of weight to your advantage. Most notably the clubhead weight is shifted deep and low. It is also shifted to the perimeter of the clubhead as well. This design enhances the forgiveness available on every swing.
- There is a HiBore crown of every club. This allows for a CG that is both low and deep. The most notable effect of this inclusion is the availability of higher launches. For you to get the ball high in the air, this is essential!
- The insert face is made from steel. This will cause more flexion at the clubface and as a result, you will be able to get greater ball speeds.
- There are internal ribs included in each club. These will help with stabilization and help deliver you fantastic feedback on each shot.
This set of Cleveland Golf Men’s Launcher HB clubs is certainly one of the great sets on the market. The customers over at Amazon also agree with this. If you’re interested to read more about this set, click the button below:
Callaway Men’s Big Bertha Set
Big Bertha is an iconic line of clubs. They have given you the choice between long irons or hybrids, depending on your preference. Some individuals may find hybrids to hit but to some it is not an issue. The clubs have been constructed with a hollow body desing. This means your forgiveness can be maximized as a result of their ingenuity in weight distribution. More forgiveness means your off center shots will fair better than they would have previously.
The state-of-the-art technology in the 360 Face Cup comes from Callaway’s fairway woods. This means you can get greater distances on your shots and hit better scores than before. The clubs have been designed to have their own unique look. The longer irons have a wider sole whereas the shorter irons are narrower. This creates the confidence you need to hit the longer shots and less distractions to focus on the shorter shots.
The Big Bertha Set comes packed with tons of added benefits such as:
- An Internal Standing Wave has been included on each club. There is a reason it is said Big Bertha clubs can cause you to increase in length by two clubs. There are the perfect choice if you are looking to go longer.
- You have the choice between high quality graphite or steel shafts. Whichever one you choose, you know you are getting premium standard.
- If you decide on the hybrid option there is 8 different tuning options on the hosel. You can adjust it to whichever one you please to optimize your game.
Callaway Men’s Big Bertha are a set of seriously long clubs. If you want to improve your distance then these are the golf clubs for you. To read the overwhelmingly positive reviews on Amazon, click the button below:
Mizuno Golf JPX-EZ Set
Minuzo have come out with another great set of irons. They come with steel shafts and the choice between regular or stiff flex. There is a distinction made between the longer and shorter clubs. Irons 4-7 come with a greater sweet spot size as well as a pocket cavity to help your performance. They also have easy-to-use launch characteristics to allow you to hit the ball higher in the air. Irons 8-Gap Wedge (GW) have an even deeper pocket cavity. This allows you to improve your accuracy and control with every shot.
The face of each club was crafted to have multiple layers of thin metal. This generates the best Coefficient Of Restitution (COR) possible. The COR is essentially how much distance you can achieve with your swing speed. A maximum COR means you are getting the most out of every shot. This should be music to golfers ears everywhere!
There are many more benefits to this set of clubs. These include:
- Harmonic Impact Technology (H.I.T) will leave you loving the sound of every shot. This can make golf even more enjoyable, who would of thought?
- Each club has been designed to deliver ideal feedback with each shot. This means you will know when you hit a shot just right.
- Mizuno grips ensure you maintain complete control of your clubs. This is essential to ensuring proper energy transfer between you and the ball.
Mizuno Golf JPX-EZ is a set of clubs that will work with you to obtain better scores than ever. The feedback on this set has been impressive. If you are interested to see what others have to say, head over to Amazon through the link below:
Adams New Idea Hybrid Set
Adams have come out with another top of the range set of clubs.These were designed for left handed individuals. Anyone who has their left as their strongest side will benefit greatly from such a specialised set. It contains hybrids 3,4 and 5 as well as irons 6,7,8 and 9 and pitching wedge (PW). The sheer diversity in this selection is admirable. It will ensure you have a club for whatever any course will throw at you. Hybrids are selected instead of long irons due to their ability to be easier to hit. A 3 hybrid covers the same distance as a 3 iron. However most people will find a 3 hybrid more comfortable to hit. It is difficult for most recreational golfers to get sufficient height with long irons. Pros can do so because of their superior technique and swing speeds. Hybrids have the same loft but are a greater thickness. This displaces the CG further back and thus increases the trajectory of shots. Some skilled individuals may find they play with long irons just fine. It is down to personal experience at the end of the day.
The shafts on this set of clubs is made of graphite. Their lighter weight means you can achieve greater swing speeds on each shot. The inclusion of a regular flex means these clubs are perfectly suited to the majority of the golfing population. This means you can be assured of their reliability when it comes to playing.
There are plenty more great features in this set of Adams New Idea Hybrid Irons.
- The clubs have a brand new slot design. This enables a spring effect to be created all along the clubface. This increases the area of the sweet spot. As a result, this greatly increases the chances of you hitting a perfectly struck shot.
- Wraparound slot technology has been invented for this new set of golf clubs. This allows you to obtain more forgiveness than other clubs which allow you to score better on the course.
- The three scoring irons of 8,9 and PW complete the set. By including these you can play the game you love the right way. They will allow you to concentrate on each shot and increase accuracy.
Adams New Idea Hybrid Irons are a fantastic set of clubs. Their premium quality is helping to generate plenty of amazing reviews on Amazon. To read them and find out more, button below:
Maruman Majesty Prestigio IX Set
This is the newest set of clubs from the masters of design over at Maruman. The Majesty line certainly fulfils their name. These clubs are as good as they get when it comes to quality and performance. This set is filled with the latest technology to give their players an advantage on the course. The Box Structure was crafted in a way to make it thin. This gives the clubs a 3% increase in initial speed compared with the SUPER7 brand. The manufactures have put a large emphasis on producing clubs with a large repulsion. This has most definitely paid off.
We all love the sound of a perfectly hit shot. The Maruman Majesty IX means that you can hear this more often due to the superb feedback. The COG design has created the ideal depth on the club head. Another great feature is the head which is designed to have sharp form. This has produced a narrow topline and thin sole which will allow you to hit great shots with ease. There are 8 clubs in this set. They are irons 5-10 and wedges PW and AW. This is a good setup for those of you interested in having plenty of options for scoring.
Maruman Majesty Prestigio IX is a set unlike any other club. The Japanese manufacturers have put a lot of time and energy into making this as good a club as they can. To find out more about this golfing set, visit Amazon by clicking the button below:
TaylorMade Golf SpeedBlade HL
This set contains clubs from 4-iron right up to PW and also includes a Gap Wedge/Approach Wedge (GW/AW). The full list of clubs is thus irons 4,5,6,7,8,9,PW,GW/AW. HL stands for High Launch. The goal of these clubs is to help you to get under the ball and obtain high lifts. This set comes in both hand orientations so there really is something for everybody here. There is also a steel shaft guaranteeing consistently great feedback.
The engineers over at TaylorMade have shifted the CG to ensure the CG is very low. In addition to this, they have included more loft as well. In combination this will enable your shots to reach superior trajectories than other clubs. With a dark matte design, this set of clubs is a joy to look at. This isn’t merely for good looks however. The dark coloring minimizes glare to ensure you are can concentrate on every shot.
There are a wide variety of benefits with this set of Taylormade clubs, including:
- Uniflex flex on every club adapts to different speeds of swing. No matter if you swing senior or stiff, you can be assured these clubs will have you covered. These clubs work with you, not against you. This allows you to play the best fame you can.
- These clubs were crafted to generate the furthest distances possible for you. Some sets have trouble reducing the divide between the longest irons and the shortest metal woods. This is not the case for this set of clubs. The goal has been achieved to allow you to play more consistently on the course.
The TaylorMade Golf SpeedBlade HL are a set of clubs which tick all the boxes. It a superb all-round set that will have you scoring your best shots to date! To find out more about this set of great irons visit Amazon down below:
I hope everyone found this post valuable. One thing is for sure, I wish I had something like this when I was starting out. There is something for everyone here but something is consistent. The quality is excellent across the board. There are also a lot of different brands here and each brings something unique to the table in terms of attributes. If any interest you, be sure to click on the button and find out more on Amazon.
I’m looking forward to going golfing this weekend. If anyone else is let me know in the comments down below. I would love to hear what your plans are. There is nothing better than having a stimulating conversation about golf. To take your game to the next level be sure to check out the rest of the posts on here. They are filled with actionable advice on how to become a better player. There are always informative videos included to help enhance your game.